Tuesday, July 10, 2012

More Great Summer Reading...

Summer is proving to be a great time to catch up on the amazing stories that I missed this past year. As I continue my "summer reading challenge", I am trying to challenge myself to read outside of my box and try stories that would not typically land on my personal reading list. The results have been surprising and fun. Here are some books I have especially enjoyed...

1. Captain Nobody by Dean Pitchford (ISBN# 9780142416679, published by Penguin Group)
Love this book!! I am a softie for a good superhero (just ask my students), so this book was right up my ally. The main character is an unlikely superhero who finds himself in the right (or perhaps wrong) place at the right time. The story is filled with heart and very touching moments (I cried at the end). I think it would be loved by boys and girls alike.

2. National Espionage, Rescue, and Defense Society (N.E.R.D.S. Series #1) by Michael Buckley (ISBN# 9780810989856, published by Harry N. Abrahms, Inc)
This story was way outside my box of preferred reading, but it came recommended and I decided to give it a whirl. I'm glad I did. This was a fun read with some unexpected twists and turns that you would expect from a spy novel. As a teacher, I loved the underlying message of acceptance that was woven through the story. At face value, this seems like a perfect "guy read", but I feel sure anyone wouldmfindmit entertaining.

3. The Penderwicks: A Summer Tale of Four Sisters, Two Rabbits, and a Very Interesting Boy by Jeanne Birdsall (ISBN # 9780440420477 published by Random House Children's Books)
This felt like the classic summer book, probably because it was a tale of summer fun and adventure. I loved that as I read this story, I felt every possible emotion. Plus, just when I thought I might be disappointed by the ending, the story pulled through and left me feeling content. I really enjoyed this one, too!!

Not every book that I have read so far left me feeling as pleased as the books I have listed here. However, I recognize that all readers are different and you might really love these books. I certainly found endearing qualities in each of them, but they were not my favs... Ida B: . . . and Her Plans to Maximize Fun, Avoid Disaster, and (Possibly) Save the World by Katherine Hannigan (I had a hard time liking Ida B, but I am a mom not a kid); and My Life As A Book by Janet Tashjian (my husband read this and he said I would've enjoyed it more if I was a boy).

I'm signing out for now, but I have a few more to share in my next post. I am starting a new book today!! I hope you find a story that captures your imagination this summer. If you have any suggestions for me please leave a comment!

0 comments:

Post a Comment