Thursday, August 9, 2012

August 10 for 10 Book Event

I am excited to participate in my first "cross blogging" event with the August 10 For 10 Book Event!! This event is the brain child of two teachers who love children's literature and want to share that love with teachers, parents, and students everywhere. The way it works is bloggers around the globe list their TOP 10 picture books -- books you just can't live without!! They will compile and share the list on their blogs on August 10. I love children's literature, and knew this was my kind of blogging event. So without further ado, my Top 10 favorites are as follows:

1. THE GIFT OF NOTHING, by Patrick McDonnell (a heartwarming story of the simple gift of friendship)

2. STAND TALL, MOLLY LOU MELON by Patty Lovell (a great lesson about believing in yourself and embarrassing your uniqueness)

3. OUR TREE NAMED STEVE, by Alan Zweibel (a story of unconditional love)

4. MY LITTLE SISTER ATE ONE HARE, by Bill Grossman (the grossest, coolest counting book ever)

5. DON'T LET THE PIGEON STAY UP LATE, by Mo Willems (honestly, I could creat a top 10 list of Willems's books--he is such a great children's author. I chose this because it was the first one I read with my girls)

6. ENEMY PIE, by Derek Munson (great book to read if you are trying to get rid of your worst enemy)

7. EVERYBODY NEEDS A ROCK, by Byrd Baylor (one of those books that speaks to me; great guide for choosing the perfect rock)

8. KNOTS ON A COUNTING ROPE, by Bill Martin, Jr (the first book to make me cry in front of my class-- books can move you and evoke so many emotions)

9. NO DAVID, by David Shannon (this was always my Day 1 read aloud when teaching 1st grade. After I read it to my class, every student believed they could read, too. It was magic)

10. HOORAY FOR DIFFENDOOFER DAY, by Dr. Seuss (with help from Lane Smith and Jack Prelutzky) (a story that remind us that creating bright, independent thinkers should be a top priority at every school)

This is my list..at least it is today!! What a challenge it is to think of a top 10 when there are so many amazing books. I am excited to read the final list that is compiled from tomorrow's entries!! Until then, happy reading to all!!

2 comments:

Mandy said...

Thanks for joining us. 10 is a challenge. I love Diffendoofer Day and think we should all read it to ourselves as we start the year and need encouragement to keep going.

Tammy Flanders said...

This is a nice list of titles. No David is a fantastic book for alot of reasons and is popular with student teachers to use in the classroom.
Thanks for your recommendations.
Tammy
Apples with Many Seeds

Post a Comment